Being involved in a car accident is taxing enough without the added stress of a complicated claims process. That's why the team of dedicated claims specialists at Youi are on hand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help make it a smooth experience.
What to do immediately following an accident
Your safety is our priority. If the unfortunate strikes and you’re involved in a car accident, the first step is to make sure you and everyone involved is safe. Call emergency services if necessary before gathering the details of the parties involved.
At Youi, we like to make things as simple as possible, and we generally follow a five step insurance claims process. Here’s what you can expect when making a claim through Youi:
- Lodge: The first point of contact, lodge your claim by phone, online or via the app 24/7.
- Assess: We review the scope of work and the next steps with you.
- Action: Getting everything in order to make a decision on your claim.
- Track: Staying on top of things with our online Claims Tracker.
- Resolve: Repair, replacement or cash settlement once your claim’s authorised or in certain cases rejection of the claim.
When making a claim through Youi, there are a few important details we’ll need from you in order to process your claim as quickly as possible. Make sure you have on hand:
- Your policy number,
- A description of what happened, when and where,
- The type and extent of damage caused - if it’s safe, it’s worth taking a picture of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle/s involved,
- Details of anyone else involved including full name, home address, license and/ or registration number,
- The police Incident Number if police were called.
Has your car been stolen or accidentally damaged? Unlucky incidents like these do happen from time to time, which is why it pays to be covered by more extensive insurance policies like Youi’s comprehensive car insurance or third party fire and theft.
How to submit a claim
Lodging a claim with Youi is simple. To get the ball rolling either give us a call to chat to one of our experienced Claims Advisors or submit a claim online or via the Youi app. Make sure you have your policy number, contact details and details of the incident on hand to start a claim.
It’s always best to get in touch sooner rather than later, but you have up to 30 days after the incident to submit your claim.
What happens when I make a claim?
Once you’ve submitted your claim, the team at Youi will get straight onto assessing the damage. Our Claims Crew are on hand to help you every step of the way so you can be back behind the wheel as quickly as possible.
Depending on the type of claim you’re making, one of our dedicated Claims Assessors will be allocated to your case or you’ll be directed to one of our member service providers. Your vehicle will be thoroughly assessed for damage with your Youi Claims Advisor overseeing the process and communications.
Once the assessment is complete and the scope of work finalised, our Claims Crew will make a decision on your claim. If everything is approved, repairs or organising replacements can commence, closely overseen by your Claims Advisor and/or Assessor.
As the claim advances, our Claims Advisors and Assessors will provide you with regular updates. You can also see how things are progressing at any time using the Youi online Claims Tracker tool.
Once the repairs or replacements are complete, our Claims Advisors or Assessors will be in touch with you to let you know what steps have been taken and that your claim has been resolved.
Can my claim be rejected?
In some instances your claim may be rejected if you’ve not complied with the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. Claim refusals are dependent on the circumstances, but here’s a few reasons why your insurance claim could be rejected:
- You’ve failed to pay your insurance premium,
- You were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- You caused deliberate damage to someone else’s vehicle or property,
- You’ve submitted a fraudulent claim,
- You did not take reasonable precautions to prevent loss or damage to your car, like locking it or moving it to a safe location during a storm or flood,
After more information on why your claim might be refused? Check out Youi’s car insurance PDS.
Other things to remember
From comprehensive insurance to third party fire and theft and third party property only, we offer a range of different insurance options and additional features so you can design a policy to suit your needs.
At Youi, we strive to meet our obligations. But it’s important to remember that you must keep up your end of the bargain or risk having your claim reduced or refused altogether. To fulfill your responsibilities you must:
- Check your policy schedule,
- Pay your premium/s,
- Provide proof of ownership,
- Maintain a valid email address and phone number,
- Keep the car and unbraked trailer in a good and safe condition,
- Take reasonable precautions,
- Notify us of incidents,
- Treat our people with respect.
Youi aims to provide you with the best service possible, no matter the size of the claim. If you’re not satisfied with our service, we encourage you to reach out to our Claims Crew who are more than happy to explain anything you’re unsure about.
If you’re still unhappy, you can get in touch with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) who provide consumers and small businesses with fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints. However, if your gripe is with CTP insurance you'll need to contact your state-based body to follow up.
It pays to be familiar with your insurance policy and know what you’re covered for in the event that you have to make a claim. So long as you’re aware of what you’re covered for and you have all your details on hand, you’re all set to submit a claim should you need to.
At Youi, whatever your claim. Big or small. We’re onto it. So if you’re looking for a new insurance policy or to upgrade your existing Youi policy, check out our range of car insurance options.